View Single Post
Old 11-02-24, 19:29

Hello Jack.

I used to have an NOS Extension in my 19-Set stuff years ago but finally sold it off as I had absolutely no need for it. It was a specialized piece of kit is seems that had no place in the late war/post war Canadian Supply System for the 19-Set.

First time I have seen one in wartime use in your photos and at that, I am very suspicious it is mounted onto a steel tube adapter sitting between the rubber base of the extension and the hull of the M10. That adapter may be unique to the circumstances of installation on the M10 and perhaps, even a field mod to make everything work.

The extension consists of a molded rubber base cylinder with a circular flange at the base, held to the vehicle by a heavy duty steel ring using four bolts. the steel tube is vulcanized onto the top of the rubber cylinder via a small steel plate welded to the end of the steel tube. The ID if the tube is large enough to feed the B-Set Connector cable through it all the way to the top. The top which you have highlighted has a steel fitting welded to it. the lower portion is a small cup, large enough to hold the B-Set Cable Connector that clips onto the bottom fitting of the Aerial Base No. 9. The top part of this cup is identical in appearance to the tops of any of the steel post style mounts for the Aerial Base No. 9. That is, it has been machined to the correct OD and depth for the bottom of the Aerial Base No. 9 to sleeve down over it once the cable is in place and be fastened to the top of the extension with the four standard screws set at 90 degrees apart for this purpose. The shiny ring you see is the bottom of the Aerial Base No. 9 in place on top of this upper extension fitting.

The Insulator you posted a picture of looks like a main set aerial base for a wireless set that is not a 19-Set or 22-Set. Possibly a No. 9 or No. 11 Set...but do not quote me.

The photo you posted of the two aerial bases puzzles me. The forward mount assembly should be for the main set aerial for whatever wireless set was installed in the M10, but I have not seen anything quite like it before. Sorry.

Could this M10 have been set up as a Command Vehicle with two wireless sets on board?

David