Thread: It's on!
View Single Post
Old 22-03-10, 05:05
Derek Heuring

Default Epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsa View Post
That’s going to be a pretty intense road trip with vintage HMVs. Fairbanks to Anchorage is 358 miles and Anchorage to Dawson Creek is 1577 miles. Not sure if my jeep or my butt could handle close to 4000 miles round trip. It will be interesting to follow the planning as they work things out and how far each days driving will be given slower convoy speeds and down time for repairs enroute.

It's going to be quite a trip, even if the plans change and we trailer one way and drive the other. I've calculated that from Corinth, Texas to Fairbanks and back is over 11,000 miles. Personally, in order to take either my CMP or M37 I'll have to share the trip with another MV enthusiast or two as the gas bill alone will exceed $3,000.00. To that add food, lodging, repairs, and time lost from work and I'm looking at close to $10,000.00 net cost. I may have to look at simply flying to Dawson Creek and renting a van to tag along with. In any event I plan on shipping, probably with Dennis, two working 19 sets in order to attempt to send nightly progress reports to the 19 set owner's group and the world. Hopefully there's lots of skip for skywave transmission.
As soon as the MVPA sets up the Alcan Convoy forum I'll post that URL here so everyone can follow the planning and sign up if interested.