Thread: It's on!
View Single Post
Old 11-12-10, 05:30
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsa View Post
That’s going to be a pretty intense road trip with vintage HMVs. Fairbanks to Anchorage is 358 miles and Anchorage to Dawson Creek is 1577 miles. Not sure if my jeep or my butt could handle close to 4000 miles round trip. It will be interesting to follow the planning as they work things out and how far each days driving will be given slower convoy speeds and down time for repairs enroute.
Dave, the longest leg of the trip is approx. 250 miles with many being much less. There are a couple of rest days thrown in, one at Watson Lake to admire the 70,000+ road signs there and another at an AFB in AK. Further, there are 5 drive/rest days where the convoy will only be on the road for 1/2 a day.
I know what you mean about driving a Jeep that distance. I used to be stiff as heck after an hour in my first MV, a '42 GPW. I'd probably end up with Deep Vein Thrombosis if I drove a Jeep every day for a month! Even now with my M37, I still bash my left knee on the window handle every time I lift my leg up to push in the clutch.

Derek