View Single Post
Old 27-05-18, 20:29
GM Fox I

It's hard to explain. Once you've been here for a while you just instinctively know where the lake is. No need to actually see it. As to the lights, I'm far enough away from Toronto and the GTA to know what you mean. The local burgs of 1000 people are clear, local and bright. If conditions are right you can make out the deep, distant glow of London, 50 km away.

I mock Toronto people who once...once...in their life saw stars. All it took was an electrical blackout of the entire eastern seaboard. Well, some saw stars, that is if they weren't trapped in a non-functioning elevator in their overpriced condo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Bruce

That would well enough if you are simply travelling along the QEW. But if you go inland more than a few miles, the reference point to the lakes are gone.

At night, out here, we can use the light from the next city as a reference point. That is good to about 25 miles. Way too many lights where you are at to try and use that method.

Years back, when I first came to Shilo, they had just built the new base maintenance building. It had a row of lights along the towers of the roof. You could see those 10 miles out in the training area....nearly impossible to get lost and easy to find your way back to camp. The lights have either been disconnected or else burned out over the years so that ref point is gone.