View Single Post
Old 15-05-22, 19:44

Default Understanding Br/Cdn Div Sigs, circa 1944-45

I was wondering whether anyone knows of any document or publication that explained in a bit more detail the wireless nets that a typical British or Canadian Infantry or Armoured Divisional Signals would operate, based on the later war organisations?

I have the relevant War Establishment tables for British and Canadian Divisional Signals issued from late 1943 to early 1945. I also have the Royal Signals Pocket Book, Wireless Diagrams (1945) as a reprint. Taken together these do give a good overview of the wireless links of Div Sigs, but there are still things I'd like to try and have a better understanding of.

My current understanding (excluding links to Main Corps, flank formations and air) of the Div Sigs nets in Br/Cdn Inf/Armd Divs is;
  • Div "A" Wave - on R/T, connected the Div commander with the rear link of each of his Brigade commanders, and the rear link of the Div Recce unit. Worked from command vehicle A1 in "A" Sec/Tp of Div Sigs.

• Div "B" Wave - on W/T (CW), to same HQs and units as "A" Wave. Worked from command vehicle "A2" in "A" Sec/Tp to a CW rear link vehicle in each Bde HQ and the Recce unit.

• Bde nets - on separate frequencies for each Bde in the Div, gave forward control for the Bde commander (from Bde Sig Sec/Tp command vehicle 1) to the rear link vehicle with each Bn/Regt in the Bde.

• Rear Div net - on R/T. Worked from command vehicle "B1" in "B" Sec/Tp of Div Sigs and married up with the rear link set in command vehicle 2 of each Bde Sig Sec/Tp.

• 'Rear' (or "B" Echelon?) Bde net - on R/T. I'm not sure if there were separate frequencies for each Bde, given the link to the Rear Div (command vehicle "B1"). This also maintained links with attached S&T, Med and Wksp units. Also in Bde Sigs Sec, further sets linking to unit "A" Echelon vehicles behind the immediate combat area.

• Div Arty net - on R/T. Separate frequencies for each Regt in Div Arty (so five in Inf Divs and four in Armd Divs). Gave CRA forward control to the rear link of each Regt worked from his command vehicle. Each Field Regt Sec/Tp also provided forward control vehicle for the Regtl CO to each Bty in the Regt; Atk and LAA Regts had a rear link det only. Command vehicle also provided rear link for CRA that married up with forward control of Commander Corps RA (CCRA). Btys in all Div Arty Regts provided their own wireless, the ideal being one frequency per Bty in each Field Regt.

• Div Engr net - on R/T and worked from the CRE's command vehicle, with forward control to the rear link of each Fd Coy/Sqn and the Fd Pk Coy/Sqn. Presumably single frequency on this net?

• Services - on R/T. Pool command vehicles B3 and B4 in "B" Sec/Tp, one each for S&T and Med, plus pool wireless trucks for attachment to Transport Companies and Field Ambulances as required. REME/RCEME had their own wireless trucks plus a command vehicle for the commander.

• Armoured Regts, Recce Regts, Infantry Bns, Motor Bns and MG Bns all had their own internal nets worked by unit signallers/operators. Armd and Recce Regts could require separate frequencies for each Sqn, otherwise they'd use a regimental frequency.

I did wonder if there was some kind of guide on how many frequencies a Div Sigs would have to provide, depending on the number of units in the Div, and also likely any attachments. I though I'd seen a reference to a Divisional list somewhere...

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Gary