Thread: LRDG Ford F30
View Single Post
Old 19-04-22, 23:20

Default LRDG Ford F30

I've hopefully become involved in 2 LRDG Ford F30 builds within 24 hours, on opposite sides of the World.
I know quite a bit about LRDG Chevrolet 1533X2s, and have picked up knowledge along the way about the Fords and the modifications that were made to them. One of the trucks will be a Y Patrol Wireless vehicle and the other hasn't yet been narrowed down, but will most likely be a R or T Patrol truck based on where its being built.
I saw Ian Chard last week, a local LRDG historian and son of Harry Chard who was in Y Patrol, and nicked a load of new photos and information which with all my other research and photos I have a good knowledge of what modification are needed.
  • 134 1/4" chassis
  • 3A1 steel body
  • Chevrolet Axles (Ford axle production was delayed and so early Ford F30s were fitted with Chevrolet Banjo axles)
  • Condenser on Drivers side step
  • Sand mat racks
  • Sand Channel racks
  • Rifle clips
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Morris truck Aero screens (optional)
  • Removal of upper bonnet/hood panels
  • Heat insulation around drivers footwell?
  • Sun or aero compass mount
  • 3A1 body moved back 12"/300mm to put Centre of gravity over rear axle and 2 spare wheel racks between cab and body on some trucks.
  • 10.5 - 16 wheels/ tyres.
Wireless truck
  • 2 plywood compartments behind 3A1 RHS fold down side panel for No11 set and Philips 635 receiver.
  • Aerial post
  • Windom aerial poles stowed between chassis rails under body

What I need to clarify
  1. 3A1 dimensions and details
  2. Was a Charging switch panel fitted to the wireless trucks? (feature on 1533X2 trucks)
  3. Was a PTO Compressor fitted to any of the LRDG Ford F30s
  4. Was a heavy duty radiator fitted?
  5. What other modifications are known or possible -heavy duty engine mounts? Uprated fan or air filter?

The aim is to make the trucks as accurate as possible using all the latest research and information. I will post any updates and most likely request further information.
Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Early Ford F30.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	128230 Click image for larger version

Name:	F305.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	469.6 KB
ID:	128231 Click image for larger version

Name:	f306.jpg
Views:	5