View Single Post
Old 27-08-07, 23:55
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default I think I've got it!

Bloody hell, I've been at this since 1715Z, and it's now 2255Z... but I think I've found the glitch.

(1) 1715Z - I refreshed and got a 502 Bad Gateway error. Refreshing brought me a 504 Gateway Timeout error. I experimented with different browsers and different machines, same error(s).

(2) 1800Z - I opened a formal trouble ticket with my hosting service, detailing responses etc.

(3) 1845Z - Host writes back to say that this error(s) is so rare they had to look it up, and suggested it was at my (local) end. I made rude comments to myself. They added it might be a good idea to run a traceroute on these services to see where they ran parallel to one another or diverted. I DID have a back door into the Forum, which was a place to start.

(4) 1900Z to 2030Z - I one-upped the buggers... that'll teach 'em to tap-dance with an Honourary Gunner! Went into WHOIS lookup AND did a traceroute on all services, whereupon I found that half had reverted back to an old, disconnected server but still worked (haven't figured that one out yet, it's the GPO ACK's job and he's drunk again) and the other half still with proper DNS routing. Yet going off in all directions.

(5) 2035Z - printouts in a text file, I mailed back the hosting dweebs and said "Sort THIS, you..." (I was polite, didn't want them turning me off altogether).

(6) 2230Z - They reverts ALL DNS pointers back to what they should be on all 16 domains I host. Tested and functioning, but not, repeat not verified yet.

(7) 2245Z - Another cup of tea. and commence report.

ADDENDUM: Please advise me ASAP if you experience any more like troubles so I can trace them accordingly, now that I've wasted a whole bloody afternoon learning far more about DNS Devils® than I really wanted to know.

DNS Jif