View Single Post
Old 14-04-13, 17:44
MLU Administrator

Default British Military Bicycles

Since finding out I have a WW2 Hercules military bicycle, I'm going through this forum and other sources to collect more information on the subject of British military bicycles:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob van Meel View Post
The following information is taken from Handbook on Military Bicycles. 1911 (reprinted with amendments 1914)

part II Description of Military Bicycle.

14. The earliest pattern of British military bicycle was "Pattern 1898". Since then there have been five modifications known as mk. I, II, III, III* and IV. As there are but few of Patt. '98 bicycles still in use they are now known as Mark I (P/98). and the following Marks are governed by the following distintive features :-
Mark I are fitted with fixed rear wheel and a front rim brake.
Mark II are fitted with free wheel, front rim brake, and a Bowden brake acting on the rear wheel.
Mark III, III* and IV are fitted with Coaster hubs and a front rim brake only.
All are supplied with wheels 28" in diameter, and where possible a continuity in the pattern of components has ben maintained throughout the succesive marks. (end quote) etc.

The drawing is one of these patterns.

In WW II the commonly used bicycle was the Mark V, with front rim brake (Phillips stirrup pattern) and the rear brake would either be a similar Phillips rim brake or alternatively a Coaster hub brake. In some war establishments the mk V is referred to as trade pattern bicycle.

Rob