View Single Post
Old 04-07-07, 22:15

Default Mk1 Crew stowage locker

Sometime ago Rob Love posted the following about the crew stowage lockers found on Mk1 Carriers.

The tool box over the left track is stock and is one of the holy grails of the mk1 carriers. You will usually see photos of it re-mounted onto the front of the carrier so as to make more room for passengers within the protection of the armour.
The real mystery of this box is what was inside and mounted onto the top of it. There are brackets for what looks like the track jack on top of the lid, and there is a small clip inside the lid which seems to hold about a 1/4" rod of some kind. There is also the little semi-circular holder on the inside corner; looks almost like an oil can could fit. On one of these I previously owned there was remnants of a canvas divider inside; again purpose unknown. The stowage diagram says the locker only contained the crews packs.

This could be the topic of a seperate thread. Does anyone have any referancematerial as to the stowage within the locker?

While re-reading my Canadian printed instruction book the other night I stumbled onto the stowage and equipment part. On pg 118. "T" is listed as Jack, Lifting Handle ...... In socket and brackets on top plate -- hull cover axle or on locker kit.

Looking at the size of this tool and the fact that one end has a small hole in it I would imagine that it would fit onto the clips mounted on top of the stowage locker. Especially since the clip has a set of holes and peg that pass through it.

Here is a picture of the tool im talking about. If someone has both of these coudl you please try it out and let us know how they fit together.
Attached Images

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer