Thread: Smokin'
View Single Post
Old 03-06-04, 06:13
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Discrimination

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
I really don't like the idea of compulsion or violation of freedoms either, so I'm with you all the way there!
If only smoking wasn't so invasive, pervasive and offensive to non-smokers!
I knew that Keith I know what you mean about the invasiveness of the smoke etc, some people just find it intolerable or are allergic ...

...and I still sort of feel that the non-smoker who takes issue has every right to not be around it whatever their reasons, health/just don't like it, etc. but only UP TO THE POINT of "having a rightful CHOICE to not being FORCED to go to places where smoking happens where they have to "put up with it"."

These bans only recognize the rights of people who don't want to be around it. I feel like its a violation and sort of dictatorship to INFLICT BANS ON UNWILLING individuals and businesses, ESPECIALLY, as Geoff reminded us all, that smoking is LEGAL. Absolute inflicted ban is NON-sense? And a violation against the unwilling, because the NON-smoker activist is not content to accept FREEDOM TO CHOOSE whether to frequent smoking establishments or not. They want the cake and to eat it too, at others expense, by denying choice just because they want to go to these establishments. My way or the highway and they don't care about the impact or losses it costs the others to get their own way.

I'm not only thinking about smoking "issues". There are SO many other "issues" that are about this freedom of choice. What is more valuable? having fredom of choice? Or your own way?

My relatives fought for freedoms ... and died brutally for them ... will we blow everything they fought and died for by killing off what they fought and died for? My Uncles would turn in their graves at the very thought.

By the way.... I know that very time I walk by or near a place thats doing roofing I usually feel ill, get an immediate headache, queezy, and can't breath. I hold my breath, hand over mouth, and run. This stuff is in the air. And sois all the spraying for mosquitoes etc... we suck that back along with exhaust but no one is banning any of these things.

What will tomorrows issue be? Something else, but the root will be a fight over freedom of choice because one wants to deny anothers at the others loss and expense because, for whatever reasons, they decided that having their own way was more important than anyone and everyone else and therefore inflict will.

Sorry folks... just babblng on here as ever.

No matter what side of the smoking issue you stand on ... loss of freedom of choice is never an acceeptable loss?

I'm gonna smoke smoke smoke til I drop