View Single Post
Old 14-12-13, 00:32
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce MacMillan View Post
The WS11s were dated 1941. I believe this was the last year these sets were made. There's no indication of RCA involvement.

One thought crossed my mind was that Northern Electric, Marconi & RCA were big into manufacturing comm equipment before the war. Addison Industries (WS58) and Rogers-Majestic (WS27) built only home entertainment radios.

Documentation I have between Ottawa & the Canadian Army Overseas HQ in London refers to the WS19 as "Wireless Set C-19). Perhaps the three manufacturers made note of this and put the "C" in front of the S/N.
I think the "C" prefix was to distinguish the Canadian built sets from the British ones, simply because of internal component differences that meant spare parts from one country would not fit sets built in another (although the complete unit would be interchangeable). The WS11 was built in the UK and Canada, Australia was (I think) supplied from the UK. The Canadian redesigned Wireless Set No.9 was very considerably different from the British one (it used sensible valves for a start), and eventually got redesignated as WS52.

All the WS19 variants are different (in various ways) and there's a manual of which parts are interchangeable between UK, US and Canadian built sets, plus modifications needed (different bias resistor if E1148 is used in the 'B' set instead of DET24/CV6), etc.

The VAOS prefix was also changed, with various permutations of ZA, ZA/C, ZA/CAN, ZA/US/BR and ZAA (the latter being Australia).

Chris.