View Single Post
Old 14-10-17, 11:47
MLU Administrator

Gregg,

I recall the yellow Ford CMP featured in Wheels & Tracks magazine. The story was about some guys who took an engine into the bush on quads, fitted it in a derelict Ford CMP and drove it home - some adventure! But your stepdad droving it home from Canada to Texas at about age 80 - this must have been an equally great adventure

From what I see it is a F15A 15-cwt 4x4 truck, fitted with 20" wheels with 9.00-20 tyres and the cargo bed off an earlier 8-cwt type CMP truck. Originally it would have had 16" wheels and a different cargo bed. Now that we have identified it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCarlson View Post
1. Manuals - is there a source to get manuals or just scans?
Our member Grant Bowker can supply you with a copy of the Maintenance manual MB-F1. If you place a wanted ad here on MLU an original may come up, the manual is not rare.

Quote:
2. Transfer case - how does it shift or operate? The lever is bungi'ed back, perhaps due to rattling. No plaquards - does this lever move fore and aft for 2wd, 4wd, perhaps neutral? What about the apparent PTO output?
The 4-wd lever moves forward to engage front wheel drive, and backwards to disengage front wheel drive. There is no high-low gear in the 15-cwt transfer gear.
Reverse gear has a lock, lift the lever on the gear shift and it should slide into reverse.
If it has a PTO output, you may want to take some pictures of the drive train so we can identify further.

Quote:
3. Sources for parts or knowledge?
4. Sources for gages or people able to rebuild?
Knowlegde here on MLU, parts as well - I see Brian already sent you an email.

Quote:
My short term goal would be to get it working perfectly mechanically, including gages if possible and mostly stock. I don't know if I will next restore it or just enjoy its patina and just drive it.
If I were you, I would get it running properly and safely and enjoy it as such. If you make a scrap book with the exploits of Mr. McAleny & Lak and your stepfather, it will make for a very interesting display at car shows.

I see it is/was for sale?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-Ford-bu...tZwuIF&vxp=mtr

Interesting comment from the seller: "It is all original with what is probably a French flathead. I can send some detailed pictures after a few days."
Where does the idea re. the French flathead come from? If it has the upright distributor, it could also be a post-war US V8.

HTH,
Hanno

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	94748 Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16002.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	94749 Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16003.jpg