View Single Post
Old 11-03-11, 22:48

Default Ethanol Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Hi Phil
Snow day here for me.... ...
...which brings me to my ?????

Regular gasoline and mid range gasoline in Canada have a sticker that says it may contain up to 10% ethanol....... BUT NOT ON THE HIGH OCTANE PUMP.

Is it safe to assume that hi-octane gasoline has NO "deathanol".... and would be more appropriate for our trucks....?

Sound too simplistic.

Bob
My response to Bob while MLU was down. (glad it is back)

We have as you seen my comments had ethanol in our gas in the states for a number of years and they are even talking about going up to 15 % which will cause a new round of problems.

In short 10 or 15 % ethanol gas will EAT AND DISTROY ALL RUBBER FUEL LINE PARTS not designed for it. This can happen depending on the part in as little as one tank of gas. I’ve gone through and replaced all rubber fuel line parts with Gates hose rated for it. Watch out for discount or un-marked hose. Buy a known brand which is marked. Particularly watch out for the mechanical fuel pumps for get NOS fuel pumps unless you replace the diaphragm with one made of the new material. I’m going over to electric fuel pumps.

Other than that the only problem I’ve had with the truck is that the stuff goes stale in the carbs quick, but the electric fuel pump seems to solve that problem as it pushes some fresh gas in when the turn on the pump.

After responding to Bob I got another e-mail about this issue with and interesting link http://cckw.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4732.

This if the joy of E10 and E15 is spreading to Canada this topic deserves its own heading not sure what category it should go under. Suggestions?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com