View Single Post
Old 30-12-17, 03:05
VMVC

Default Houdaille Shock absorbers- dsassembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schindel View Post
Thanks Rob and Tony.If they work,leave "em alone. Not something you want to try to rebuild unless you are desperate!
Hi Dave,

I agree with Rob and Tony wholeheartedly. If they move, just work them a bit, flush them out, and replace the hydraulic oil.

If they are frozen and you cannot find some that move then you may have to try to tear then down.

I recreated the pictures below of how I got mine apart after Frank Curcio removed the arms for me with his puller and heat. As I said in an earlier post referred to here, to do it again I would try to do it myself first. I didn't have an oxy set in 2004 when I had mine rebuilt however.

Before removing the arm mark the arm and the shaft to make sure you get it back on the correct spline. Some are factory marked with a chisel mark. A centre punch mark will also do the job.

I used a strap wrench to remove the cover. I made a tool to remove the inner ring from a piece of steel with three bolts 120 degreees apart. In actuality it came out quite easily but I was expecting the worst. Gentle persuasion with a brass drift on the notches may be all that is needed in hindsight. In any event a tool as heavy as the one I made is not necessary. Once that ring is out the rest should just pull apart easily if not frozen with rust.

Hope this may be of some help.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0211.JPG   IMG_0207.JPG   IMG_0214.JPG   IMG_0212.JPG   IMG_0216.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 01-01-18 at 05:38.