View Single Post
Old 03-01-18, 22:31

Default Help with the breach.

Anyone have a good working knowledge of the bofors 40mm? I have one that is a bit rusted and I can't get it to move/ function. The plan is to mount it in the tank as a substitute for the 2pdr that would have been there.
The breach has spent the last 2 months in a barrel of diesel and that helped but the main breach block is stuck hard in the open position. I have an operators manual on it and can't identify any parts that would account for it to be stuck.
I have removed the barrel and pushed the barrel safety pin back to make sure it is not locking it open.
I have freed up the trip ejectors and they are not catching the breach block.
I have tried hitting it, using a bit of heat to warm it up and even tried willing it to work...... but it has defeated me thus far.
The only thing I can see from the manual is that the inner sears are simply stuck with rust.... I can't see where the best place to tap on them is and have tried gentle tapping on everything I can see to try to get it to move.
I would also love to borrow some of the take down tools for a day to remove the parts that are free and give more access to the rest. The coil spring is still on it and that will be hard to remove without the proper tools.
If there is someone in my area (Edmonton, Alberta) I can meet with you in the next few days.
I posted the same question in the gun forum to increase the number of folks who will see this request. Don't know how to link threads yet.