View Single Post
Old 13-03-23, 03:35
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Engine builder recommendation

I had recently purchased some engine parts in Canada that required some machining and fitting. I was referred to a business in Ontario, and had the work done by the extremely skilled and competent Theo at Around The Block Engine Machining in Beamsville, Ont. (Beamsville is a small rural area between Hamilton and Niagara Falls, about a hour from downtown Toronto).

For a very rare moment, I was talking to an engine machinist who was not fazed by the mention of "Full floating rod bearings" or "Poured Babbitt". For a young machinist and engine builder, Theo has done extensive work on several types of vintage engines and is happy to restore to standard specs or tweak them a little for performance or full hot-rodding, and his rates were (to me) very reasonable for the quality of work. Ford V8, Chev 6 and Dodge 6 engines found in WW2 vehicles are his bread and butter compared to the some of the projects he has worked on.

He may not be local to many on this forum, but he will receive engines or parts by freight and is prepared to ship them back to you complete (even to Australia!). I would have no hesitation to have purchases from anywhere in North America needing work shipped to him before being sent Down Under. If you are talking to him, mention that "Tony from Australia" referred you, and he will glad talk 10% longer at no additional cost!

His website is https://aroundtheblockengines.ca/index.html (Word of advice. The site comes up with an "Expired Security Certificate" warning, and cautions that the site is not secure. It is a legit site, and I have told Theo to have his web host sort it out.) Check out the pages of photos and projects. While many Old School mechanics have retired and their experience and skills lost, I am happy to support young craftsmen and their developing businesses (His Shop is in a barn at the back of his home!) when they continue to provide vintage skills that are not widely available, and at a very reasonable cost.