Thread: Info needed: Ford CMP- Transfer case insulators
View Single Post
Old 22-03-23, 00:43
VMVC

Default Ford CMP- Transfer case insulators

Good day,

I am revisiting this item as I have my spare tyre carrier off for repainting it and I have good access to the mounting bolts for the transfer case on my F15-A.

Many moons ago I made up some transfer case insulators from 4 mm insertion rubber. It has perished as can be seen in the photo. I have looked everywhere for the part in various publications but haven't found it. Only reference I have is in the Maintenance Manual, Ford calls them "insulators" Chevy manual calls them "spacers". Ford Special Pattern Vehicles booklet also mentions "insulators".

I got some new 8mm conveyor belting yesterday, the thinnest I could find, and thought I might use that as it is tougher than insertion rubber and has two layers of fabric instead of one as is used in insertion rubber.

The three trucks I had all had transfer cases removed at some time, so I never even had a rough sample as a guideline. All were bolted tightly to the frame with nothing between the case and frame. Some even used lock washers on the mounting bolts and were not wired as shown in the manuals.

Has anyone ever seen original insulators, and if so, what would be the thickness? I am hoping 8mm thick insulators would not cause any problem with transmission-transfer case jackshaft alignment. The change of angle would be minuscule unless I am missing something.

By the way the washers were not originally used there. Just some spare large enough shock absorber washers that I had at the time. Since then I have obtained round ones!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0026.JPG   IMG_0157.JPG  

Jacques Reed