Thread: Info needed: Ford CMP- Transfer case insulators
View Single Post
Old 27-03-23, 00:40
VMVC

Default Ford CMP- transfer case isolators

Good day,

Finished the new isolators. They are 6mm (1/4") thick. I previously said they were 8mm thick, my mistake.

I was going to cut them square but as I had to use a hole saw for the bolt holes, I used a hole saw cut them out. Once I got the drill press speed right- slower, and a bit of silicon spray when cutting, the workshop stopped smelling like a dragstrip. I don't believe washers were used under the isolators based on a photo I just received but I put them there to spread the load over a bigger area.

I looked at the Design Record Canadian-developed military vehicles WW2, Vol 4, excerpt attached, when trying to find info on the isolators. Of interest, originally, they considered them for noise reduction but had concerns about misalignment. A change of thought during production perhaps?

Based on actual experience anything from no isolators to 1/2" thick isolators causes no problems with the alignment of the transmission and transfer case. Just the same, I have enough belting left over to cut out 4 more isolators if I want to increase the thickness to 1/2".

Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0165.JPG   IMG_0169.JPG   IMG_0167.JPG   IMG_0172.JPG   design record xfer case.jpg  

Jacques Reed