View Single Post
Old 07-09-18, 20:03

Cleanup and inspection of the Remote Receiver was completed this week, short of currently not yet being able to test any of the valves in it. So some may be weak or dead. Fingers crossed in that regard for the time being.

Before anything else, I cleaned the Connector Plug No. 1, checked it visually for anything obvious and hooked it up to the Remote Supply to test the continuity of it with the supply. Output was perfect so next step was connection of the Connector Plug to the Remote Receiver and turn the supply on.

The only thing that happened was a soft, steady hum from the speaker that was appropriately interrupted when the selector switch was toggled between 'SPEAKER" and "PHONES". No Indicator Lamp, or Meter readings and no response from the Calibrator when turned on. Supply 'off' and think for a bit.

I then pulled out my tired looking parts receiver and decided to hook it up to the supply after a quick inspection and see what it did when activated. How sweet. When the supply was turned on the Receiver On lamp lit and the HT reading on the Meter jumped to 160 and slowly dropped to around the 155 mark. Switched on the calibrator and it's lamp lit. And the meter readout dropped another couple of needle widths closer to 150 Volts.

That got me thinking the problem with the Remote Receiver must be close to the Input Socket since the inactivity of the set was so comprehensive. I could not see anything out of the ordinary around the socket assembly, but did notice that the three countersunk, slot head screws that mount the socket assembly to the chassis all had damaged slots, strongly suggesting somebody had it off at one time. So I pulled the screws and took a look behind the assembly. First thing I noticed was an unconnected wire waving at me. A careful check of all terminals at the back of the socket compared to those on the working backup supply, confirmed where the wire had broken loose from. Out came the jumper cables, as per the attached photo.

With ground for the socket assembly jumpered, along with the broken connection, I turned the Remote Supply back on. Happy Dance! The Meter came to life with the correct HT reading, the receiver lamp lit and so did the calibrator lamp when activated.

Seems a soldering project is in store this afternoon!

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS-52 Remote Receiver Broken Socket Connection.JPG