View Single Post
Old 07-09-22, 14:24
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Well very good news about KB882, as in an earlier post, the now unreliable and 'awakened' CBC had falsely written that this was a Dambuster Lanc.

I would so love to see one of the few being restored in Canada actually make it beyond static display. The Halifax in Trenton (which I also wrote about long ago) can never fly again, because many parts were impossible to find and had to be fabricated to look right but were not airworthy suitable.

One of my father's buddies was a Lanc pilot, but at the time, although I was somewhat aware of the significance, I never really asked about his experience (damn fool) and now he's gone of course.

He did mention that after one sortie, he was either lost or short of fuel and had to land on handy strip. but the strip was too short for the plane to take off again, so it was dismantled for parts!
(perhaps there was much more to this story but I never pushed him for details (damn fool)

I always find it incredible that the CO of the Dambusters in charge of and responsible for all those men and planes and planning was a mere 25 yr old , also known as fearless.

Don't know what you were like in your 20's but I would say personally I was as much 'rear orifice' as anything else.

One thing that surprises me about the Lanc and others, is that it is such a big plane but the cockpit is really cramped and it seems not really bigger than the cockpit of a single engine plane like a cessna.

One thing that concerns me however is the age of people interested and those restoring or preserving these artifacts. Not a lot of younger types from what I can see.

There's a very small museum at Ste Anne de Bellevue just west of Montreal, and although a very good effort with some interesting stuff, it also is all volunteer and generally older guys.

((I'm surprised the following links still work, given that Radio-Canada/CBC with Liberal agreement, killed off the International Service-))

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2014/04/30/...vivor-of-wwii/

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2016/07/08/...s-war-veteran/

Last edited by Marc Montgomery; 07-09-22 at 14:29.