View Single Post
Old 03-12-22, 16:25

Default Curtain/Covers Waterproof

Thought I had better show a photo of the Curtain, Waterproof rolled up in the stored position on top of the Carriers No. 4, while I have the Sender out for testing. Notice how it forms a smooth, cylindrical tube when fastened down.

Anyone with an original Curtain, Waterproof can probably confirm this, but the smooth look of this curtain in the stowed position is very likely due to the fact it is a replica made from a bolt of canvas that has not been treated with the usual paraffin and wax solution to actually waterproof it. You will notice in the first photo of my previous post, when in the deployed position, the weight of the steel bar in the bottom edge also holds the canvas in a smooth tight sheet.

I noticed these effects last evening and checked the waterproof covers on my Mk II 19-Set and Variometer and my Mk III mounted on the Carriers No. 23. All three of these canvas items are very stiff, you can still smell the waterproofing when they get warm and they only ever really 'relax' when they get warm.

I don't think I will ever bother to apply any traditional waterproofing to this replica, but I might give it a spray of silica boot waterproofing, just to validate the name of the curtain, if nothing else.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Curtains, Waterproof DD3.JPG