View Single Post
Old 03-07-11, 10:59
Tony Baker

Default Getting nearer, but still not quite here.

Today I made the last trip to my Ford chassis, in readyness for the trip home via tilt-tray, later in the week. Former owner got it to front of his property, and the rope he had used to 'hold' rear axle on reportedly snapped in transit, so he re-roped the axle.

I'm not quite as brave ??? as he is, so I removed rope and chained all together. It only has to last one load/unload on the truck transporting it home, so I am confident it will be OK.

I'm begining to have second thoughts about using this particular chassis, due to former owners efforts in shortening the length. I'm not at all convinced that all the cross members can be reinstalled for a satisfactory appearance. Time will tell and I will take a better look once home.

I may try to find a better chassis, so if anyone knows of a suitable substitute for sale in south east QLD, let me know!

Name:  Greenbank Ford 1.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  35.8 KB Name:  Greenbank Ford 2.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  33.3 KB Name:  Greenbank Ford 3.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  33.7 KB

Could you imagine a couple of bits of rope holding the rear axle in place? Neither could I. I must give credit to Matt Baker from Ipswich, QLD, who educated me on use of a "dog" for securing chains tightly in place. First truck I bought was from him & Suzann, and the day I arrived to trailer it home, he asked me if I had any 'dogs. I thought it was a bit odd that he would want to know about our chocolate Labrador! Now know better.

Truck expected to be home here by the end of the week.

P.S Anyone wanting a rather heavy boat anchor, I can provide you with a VERY rusty & buggered Ford flathead block. You'll see what I mean if you look closely at the pics with this posting :-) I appologise for image size. Not yet got hang of resizing images to upload.

Last edited by Private_collector; 03-07-11 at 11:06. Reason: More to add!