View Single Post
Old 26-09-15, 19:30
GM Fox I

I think "don't ask, don't tell" will get you a plate and insurance but I'd want to be on solid ground if there is a historic exemption for large, 'commercial' ones. If there isn't I wonder how far it goes? Would you need all those amber lights on the corners and top? That would somewhat ruin the authenticity. I also wonder what you would have to do to get trailer plates for a large trailer, say a four wheel 40cwt CMP type. There is no 'historic' trailer plate and your restoration would most likely be treated as a new trailer. Would that mean reflective red/white strips down its khaki side? Lastly, I imagine weight will also determine the class of driver's license you need to operate it. Even with historic plates your 'G' license won't allow you to operate something large enough to require a higher class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
In the area of jurisprudence, this is what is referred to the act remains silent on Historic Vehicle. The regulations do not specifically include or exclude the requirements of some historic vehicles that would normally be commercial trucks.

There are those who believe that the historic vehicle plate excludes them from the requirements of commercial trucks. There are also those who believe that not withstanding the Historic Vehicle plate, that the requirement under law would be to comply with all requirements for annual safety, daily log of inspection and all other requirements of commercial trucks.

In law, when an act remains silent on certain issues, it is usually assumed that the higher standard would apply in all other areas. This concept means that if your vehicle has historic plates, that notwithstanding the historic vehicle plate, that all standards that would apply to such a vehicle, would be in force. That is usually the standard that would be applied in cases of litigation.

I think the intent of the historic vehicle plates would NOT have been to create a mechanism for unsafe vehicles to drive on the public highways. The general public good would demand that any historic vehicle be as safe as any other vehicle on the highway.

In Ontario every year we have tires and other objects falling off commercial trucks that result in accidents and deaths. I think the requirement to prove documentation of ongoing safety aspects of any commercial/historic vehicle are reasonable.

Your thoughts?

Stuart