View Single Post
Old 12-02-17, 20:43
Tony Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnixartillery View Post
Just pulled these from a box ,NOS spike ends . Ah ,Tony you are never going to believe this but I have just picked up an aluminium carrier as the one you have just repaired !................

Rob.....................rnixartillery.
Rob, I hope yours doesn't need repair, because if it is the same as mine, it will be a very porous magnesium that is ridiculously hard to well....apparently. My fellow said he kept blowing holes in mine, no matter how low he ran the amperage. He used TIG welding, and spent several hours+, and also preheated the surface to gain maximum weld. Despite this, he said he has a horror time, because cracking would occur with cooling. The difference in cooling down between the two dissimilar metals stressed the weld.

Another undesirable complication is that the sector piece inside hits the strengthening I had to apply for reinforcing of the repair patch. This greatly reduces the extent the sector ca travel. I believe I've lost about 45 degrees of movement. I do have a plan to retake some of that loss, by making change to the sector itself. That is assuming it can be welded. For that reason, I am looking for another of those pieces to make the change to. If I use my own, and cock it up, then I'm stuffed! Best to use another to play with, so if you have another of those, we should talk!

I will make a stand for the assembly, but will hold off for a little while, until I know whether I can get that last piece i need or have to make one. The former, I hope.

David, the quantity (and quality) of the information I've received from you guys should be a tremendous help in making that system. Your help is appreciated. Until i get my act together, I will have a little play with tidying up a ground anchor/spade cover I bought from Holland, or is tha Netherlands these days? My cover has some significant dents on it, but is very usable. The attaching threaded rod & wingnuts are still present and in reasonably good shape. As stated earlier, I'm grateful for every piece I buy, and i believe it was Rob N. that said original parts in non-perfect condition is FAR BETTER than starting from scratch. The spade cover, amongst a multitude of other parts, is not something I could EVER make!

For now, my sight carrier assembly is sitting on a couple of rags on my living room floor, for want of a safer place to put it. I think I have about a fortnight before my Wife gets sick of it being there. The canvas cover for it, will be made shortly. That's one of those 'inside' jobs that I can do, provided Mrs B allows me access to her sewing machine again. That is by no means guaranteed.