View Single Post
Old 10-04-17, 09:44
Tony Baker

Default Behind the scenes. #1

I imagine it's time to reveal a few things happening behind the scenes.

You may recall I made a tentative set of skeletal trails, needing sides fabricated and welded into place. Well, they've progressed no further, and for a very good reason. Before going ahead with that, I need a mass of accurate measurements and some original brackets which would be extremely difficult to copy (for me, at least). Earning my extreme gratitude, a fellow MLU member in UK put me in touch with a gentleman here in Australia, who has a front section (firing front) of an original 25pr trails set he was prepared to sell me. The section had been used as a range target at some point, and seems to have been on the receiving end of a jolly intense game of 'Cop Your Whack'. And quite a few whacks were copped. Many impacts were delivered with the gun in profile, and those shots have travelled through, missing most of the parts I want to use.
Name:  P1100033[2]-1.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  143.9 KB Name:  P1100020[2](1)-1.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  94.9 KB
The portion that the carriage sat upon remains largely intact, needing only some cosmetic work to return to ideal condition. Apparently there is still some shell shrapnel inside that area, and I want to salvage it before welding up the damage. Exactly how much of the original trails length I will retain, I cannot say at this point, though my replica will portray a welded trail gun.
Name:  P1100049[2]-1.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  138.4 KB
Accompanying the trails section, is a group of smaller pieces which include another trail portion with a platform securing handle, and the fitting which I understand a pneumatic pump would have sat when being used.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100015[2].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	89754
A most exciting piece, is shown in the following image. This carriage side piece, though supremely attacked by tin-worm, is precisely what i need to have. It will allow me to form up exact copies of my own. Reversing the jig will ensure left and right sides are precisely alike. Once two new sides are fabricated, I will then remove the portion that holds elevation gear, and weld it onto the new left hand side. I will need to find another bearing housing block for the cradle. Making another of those is out of my abilities. The sight attachment area will ultimately be salvaged too.
Name:  P1100030[2]-1-1.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  52.2 KB

The above parts are yet to arrive, but they have been paid for and shipping co. has been chosen. It's now a matter of when they arive. That could be several weeks yet.

The piece in my NEXT post, will be received considerably sooner.