View Single Post
Old 25-10-12, 16:04

Default radioactive gauges

A few years back i borrowed a radiation detector and tested various vehicles and gauges that i had access to.

The 19 set on/off switch (glow in the dark removable cap) and the 1953 M38, 1953 M38A1 Convoy light switch cap had the highest readings while the needles on the original MB gauges were also high. These were very localized and the readings dropped drastically when the detector was moved farther away.

The 1967 M38A1 and 1974 M151A2 gauges did not pick up any substantial radiation.

The original WW2 gauges did have radioactive readings, higher than personal limits permitted.

The reproduction gauges had no readings.

If the gauges are off white, closer to a cream colour, thicker than normal, cracking, flat finish, then there is a good chance that it is original and is radioactive. Do not take these apart to rebuild.

I have talked to US Border Patrol Supervisors and they suggested that we notify them in advance if we plan on taking a MV across the border, which might have radioactive gauges. So that when the sensor alarms go off they have an idea of what it is.

The article was published in CMP #42 2007.

Thanks

Eric