View Single Post
Old 18-05-23, 02:43

Default original vs durability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
I suspect you need the "Oil-Tempered" Masonite (Hardboard in the UK), as used for construction siding, roof lining, and levelling uneven floors. It's available in 6mm thickness over here (UK), so I would expect 1/4" to be stocked in the US and Canada. It's waterproof (people apparently made small boats and dinghys with it in the 1940s and '50s), whereas 'hardboard' is not and will swell badly when it gets water on it. (The tempering involves linseed oil and baking to polymerize it, but it's possible that the modern version has been cheapened by spraying rather than dipping the sheets.) Worth checking though, and it will take oil-based paint or varnish without difficulty.

Chris.
I have samples of the original materials which likely lasted about as long as this last roof. I am doing it so it will all out live me. Marine Grade mahogany coated in an equally marine grade 2 part epoxy. A marine grade adhesive and sealer and broad head Robertson screws one size up from the originals. A good all purpose primer compatible with those materials and then the truckbed liner which actually worked very well. Should outlive me this time!