View Single Post
Old 08-11-07, 09:54

Default re re re Pet Panther

Found an old Petawawa map, and located the site of where I beleive I crawled over the remains of a Ausf A or G Panther in July or August of 1972.
I tried to use the "sattellite only imagery" from Google Maps to help me see the ground as exists today. The map I used is; CFB Petawawa, Scale 1:25000, Sheet Edition 7 MCE 35, Current as of 1970, Printed 1973.
The location as near as I can determine is GR17898851 approx 100m NORTH of the Brindle Rd on the Gust Plain.
Approx 350m WSW is a Horizontal Control Point with an elev of 516' AMSL Which I beleive was the location of the 1972 LoA/RoA marker pole.
My 1973 map shows only scattered trees to the N of the Brindle, but I'm quite certain that there was a straight as an arrow tree line down the Left side of the range to the LoA marker. The Panther was tucked ass first into that tree line
Google, as expected, shows a different picture. To start with, I have little experience intrepreting photos, so I'll stand by to be corrected.
What I see is a Mechanical Target Range (?) immediately SOUTH, and adjoining to, the Brindle Rd. It appears to have 7 firing points attached to a parking lot, with the first tgts set at 300m and every 100m out to 1300m (seems like an odd set up?) At the bank of mechanical tgts set at 600m go NW, approx 100m across the Brindle to the Grid listed above.....and start diggin'.
I would like to think that you could go out there, map in hand, and trip over the muzzle brake attached to a long buried Panther, but come on guys, lets keep it real, OK?
Even if you could find something more than a 35 yr old oil stain on the ground, that would be a good start. Personally I would like nothing better than to go on a little yomp around the trg area peeking under bushes looking for panthers. If only to remind me how much I hated "Peta-Nam".

Cheers

(feed back please)