View Single Post
Old 02-02-08, 06:42

Default CWM Panther

The CWM does have a photo of this Panther, apparently as it arrived at Borden after WWII. One of the CWM staff has this family photo and it shows the number (I saw it but did not make a note of the number) on the turret and the German white cross on left rear of turret, overpainted with a white Allied star.

I asked Jim Whitham at CWM why they had not painted it in those markings and he replied that they are still researching the vehicle's history. Once they have finished the research, they can add the markings.

The Toronto VE-Day display is a great clue as there were likely hundreds of photos taken of it, (presuming it is the same one - that needs to be verified but considering we only seem to have had two Panthers in Canada the task should be easier.) both for newspapers and for private albums, maybe even CBC TV. Also newspaper stories which might tell of its capture. OK Toronto sleuths - go check out the newspaper morques and the City archives! Once we have lots of views of markings - hopefullty some in colour, the CWM may be able to identify the vehicle's unit, and then where and when it was captured.

By the way there is a bit of battle damage on it on one side just above the track, but minor.

So ... did it run out of fuel or sugffer a break-down or ??? A puzzle ... maybe we can solve it.

Also ... how about some photos of the Petawawa Panther folks? I visited Petawawa a couple of months ago but only had time to view the Ferrets in detail and the ex-Borden Staghound. No stomping around the boonies!

More CWM Panther photos on my web site at:
Colin Stevens' page with CWM vehicle photos

COLIN STEVENS
Richmond, BC

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC