View Single Post
Old 26-09-18, 22:36

Thanks Mike

My vehicle is the later style (commonly called 1941 model in USA but 1942 in Australia)

The Australian built bodies were a little different to the American bodies, which mine has, but close enough to do a representation. There are several photos on this thread of the two types to compare, as well as a good film clip shot in the Middle East of an Australian body.

The rear doors are the most eye-catching difference.

I do not know what rating the Australian vans were but the USA vans were split between 1/2 ton and 3/4. Mine is 3/4 ton with heavy axle and open drive shaft being the only major differences.

As mentioned above very few were built for the US military ie no 1/2ton in 1941 and only 4 of the 3/4 ton of which mine is one. In 1942 they built 65 and 44 respectively. There were about a thousand Suburban (vans with windows) and 2,500 pick-up military versions.

I strongly suspect the Australian built military panel vans outnumbered the American military production considerably. Of course the Americans produced several thousand vans for civilian use in 1941/42.

Lang

Lang