Thread: Alex Blair
View Single Post
Old 30-09-13, 01:51

Default Sad, shocked but not totally surprised.

The MLU email was relayed while at a cottage on White Lake.

Alex had not been feeling well for quite some time. COPD can be very limiting for a man typically very active. Last time I saw him he was tethered to a 25 foot line attached to a portable oxygen concentrator to assist his breathing.
It pained me to watch him trying to get around particularly with the additinal complication of some hip problem. Nonetheless he carried on and joked with us.

Almost 20 year ago, when I first signed on the Bulletin Board of MLU, registration was very simple in those days, and so was the format fo MLU.

My first posting requested " permission to come aboard Sir!!!"

Alex was the first one to greet me and extend a Welcome from MLU..... he also wanted to know if I was ex-Navy...... I sheephishly replied that I was not EX anything but wanted to join in the interesting conversation.

Since then Alex attended our Hammond Barn BBQ and he organized numerous evening gatherings in various Ottawa pubs. I dropped by his place often..... now in retrospect .... not often enough.

Rest in Peace Alex your pain is over. We will miss you dearly.

To Mrs. Blair and the whole family, in particular Catherine, who took the time to keep us informed as Alex would have wished, I extend my deepest condolences and my prayers.

Over the last few years, with much sadness, the MLU membership has gradually lost a number of literally founding members of this great community ...the likes of Alex...... I cannot help but wonder who will be next.

Bob C.
Canada