View Single Post
Old 28-07-05, 11:20
former Resident Historian

Default Also..

..Mr Geoff, I have got a craving for CARAMELO now! I LOOOOOVE Caramel, Butterscotch and sugar derivatives. Not so mad on Rum though, nor booze generally though I can drink FAMOUS GROUSE Scotch and Canadian Rye, and Aussie beers.

When I was in my late teens/early twenties I worked near the Aussie State offices in The Strand in London which were all very near the High Commission. The offices were converted shops and included Aussie trade products for people to see and lust after...displays of Reschs, Tooths, XXXX, Fosters, Swan, all genuine Aussie imports not the gnat's pee they brew here, hooked me. I think I have seen Canadian beer sold here and of course we get Yankee beers which are also brewed here. .And now Hershey's, even in local stores! Their peanut chocolate bars for instance are something to behold..nothing like traditional British choccy bars

Now our major 24-hour supermarket in Salisbury stocks booze from around the world, plus Vegemite, but they have yet to cotton on to the undoubted delights of Tim Tams! Even though we have a lot of Yanks and other NATO service people on exchange around the Salisbury Plain area, this undoubted treat has so far eluded us