View Single Post
Old 06-01-19, 21:06

Not wise, just done it before !

The funny thing is that the guy building up the Sherman VVSS bogie didn't need the spring compressors. If he had just put the bogie upside down and put the bits in in the right order they sit down well enough under their own weight to start the nuts on the six studs that hold it all together. Then just tighten down the middle ones followed by the four end ones and job done. He was quite correct not to lubricate the bushes and pins because the grease mixes with grit and retains it where as running dry the dirt falls out and there is actually less wear. However I would have greased the studs and nuts as rust build up can make these very hard to dismantle.

Building up a bogie that is bolted to a tank is slightly easier with the compressors but the need to take the skid off the top to get them in is I think more trouble than it is worth so I balance all the suspension arms, equalizers and springs on a trolly jack and use that to lift them into position. It is quite possible to do that by yourself as long as you don't rush at it.

I would expect that half track ones can be done the same way but not with the tracks on and you would need to jack up the vehicle without tipping it sideways. However I have only built up half track suspensions once and that was 40 years ago and I can't remember how I did it ! Getting tracks onto half tracks is fun too but mind your fingers !

David