Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 09-11-19, 05:05
VMVC

Default Ford CMP horn- restoration

Good Day,

Here is another project I finished over the winter.

A year ago I looked at ways to repair rust holes in the diaphragm on a Ford horn. I put it on the back burner as I do when a solution doesn't quickly spring to mind.

A replacement diaphragm was not forthcoming so I thought of ways to seal the holes at least to prevent ingress of water. I discounted solder as that would probably fall out over time with vibration. Brazing or welding was out due to the possible heat effect on the diaphragm which I think is type of spring steel or tempered steel to allow for it to flex during vibration.

I found some vinyl inflatable pool patches in the shed and thought that might be a solution if glued to the diaphragm. Being thin, Light weight, and flexible it should not greatly affect the resonance of the diaphragm.

I tested a piece of it on a tin can using Sika Flex contact adhesive and it took all my strength to pull it of after it cured so I gave it a go.

It stuck well, and after reassembly and putting it across a 6V charger it blurted out a loud sound for the first time I would imagine in quite a few decades. Looking at the original condition I really didn't think it would work so it was a very pleasant surprise.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0014 (3).JPG   IMG_0092.JPG   IMG_0006.JPG   IMG_0110.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 09-11-19 at 05:11.