Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 10-11-19, 02:28
VMVC

Default Ford CMP transmission rebuild

Thanks David, Dont think I will have any problems with the horn. Won't be using it in Rome or Mexico City where the horns get more hours on them than the engines!

Jumping back to the transmission rebuild, I am almost ready to finish it off. I was awaiting some new clutch cross shaft bushings which just came. I also have a NOS cross shaft to use in the gear case. The shaft and bushings can be subject to quite a bit of wear and therefore sloppiness as shown in the photo.
Found a couple interesting things about the bushings: There are two sizes of them for Ford Flatheads: 0.945" OD and 1.000" OD. My truck uses the smaller OD type. I also found two types of material used: Solid bronze, and steel backed bronze lining. See the attached photo. The newly manufactured one is on the right, original steel backed on left, and original solid in middle.

I seem to remember long ago tapping the steel backed ones carefully into a case with the shaft installed to prevent damage. I am not so confident to do that to the softer solid bronze new ones without crumpling them. Presently started turning up a guide tool to pull them into the case instead, and yes. threaded rod will be used again.

Will post results when done but truck work is on hold for a week or so as I look after my four-legged best friend after some surgery last week.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0066.JPG   IMG_0077.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 10-11-19 at 03:51. Reason: Corrected OD to 0.945"