View Single Post
Old 11-04-08, 13:43
Alex McPherson

Default Swap meeting at the airport

The committee are fully aware that the airport is not exactly family friendly. However, you are talking about one small part of the entire event, being the swap meeting.

To explain an issue that was brought up from past events was the problem of people racing back from the photo shoot to Bangerang Park. One year this did create many safety concerns with the Year of the Carrier. There were vehicles going everywhere.

So to alleviate these issues, the swap meeting was moved to the Airport site as a trial. From what I heard this worked well (I was busy dismantling a Traffic Management Plan so was not there for the end of the photo shoot).

With tracked vehicles attending next year the airport will be in use again.

I had my family there who basically didn't see me due to the arrangements I had to make to organise the parade and vehicle management. It was very difficult to split myself into two places at once. With the Saturday being the main day and yes a lot of the action was happening at the airport in the heat, it is only one day and attending the activities there is optional.

This coming event there will be as much happening at both locations (water levels being kinder we hope).

We need to remain more safety conscious in todays society and having the swap meet at the airport has alleviated this issue.

I am not a complete idiot!!!
(Just some parts are missing)