View Single Post
Old 01-01-08, 01:17
Alex McPherson

Exclamation Traffic Management

Further to Ians posts with the AFV guidelines, with any road movement on public roads, due to the nature of the AFVs it is mandatory that an approved Traffic Management Plan be put in place. I have designed a Traffic Management Plan which I have submitted to the Corowa Council Engineers for approval. At this stage the council are happy with what I have submitted. The Council have submitted the TMP to the NSW RTA. This is required because we cross a state government road. All being well, the RTA will approve the TMP and then I should hear back from the council with regards to the final approval. Once the TMP is approved and finalised I will post it on this forum.

Further, thanks to Ian we have the VRA on board. This was one of the major concerns with regards to the TMP as ALL traffic control Personell must be properly trained and qualified for the road closures. This is not something we can just ask volunteers to do.

By having a TMP in place and also having VRA man the TMP, we are very well covered should there be an incident. The idea is to minimise any risks involved with running these vehicles.

The participants taking the AFVs are spending a lot of money to get them to Corowa and should be able to use them.

Any other public road use must have a TMP submitted to the council. So unless there is a TMP submitted ther is no public road use.

I also ask all crews to be very mindful of causing any damage to the road infra-structure. This is especially important when it comes to the kerb and channel at the edge of the roads when turning. We do not want repair bills. This is something that I will be discussing with the council engineers but it looks at this stage as though it may be a user pays system. ie, if you damage the kerb, you pay for the repair. I will post more on this later.

I hope you all had a great new years

Alex McPherson