View Single Post
Old 20-01-18, 01:18

Default Modification Card Holder

While giving a closer look to the Remote Receiver today, a piece of beige paper revealed itself trough a circular hole on the left side of the chassis. While looking at it, I noticed a pattern of four screws, above and bracketing this hole. I had seen that pattern before and it took a while to register exactly where. It was on either the side, or rear B-Set chassis plate on my 19-Sets. It was a Modification Card Holder and this one on my Remote Receiver clearly held a card.

I was delighted when I removed the card to find it confirmed the Serial Number of the Remote Receiver as being '7746'. Three modifications were done to the receiver on 10/03/61 (I can never remember the Military Day/Month sequence on these things but interesting the work was done in 1961).

'F257' is probably the reference code for the 52-Set Cdn, and if that is correct, at least six modifications exist and the three noted relate to the receiver.

This prompted another look at the Main Set receiver. Sure enough, the Modification Card Holder was there, but I could not see a card initially. However, when I shone a flashlight down into the top of the holder, I could see something was there. This resulted in a quick raid of my lovely wife's sewing room. A possible tool was found. A return to the receiver and an insertion of the tool pulled out a modification card. (Who knew a crochet hook could be so handy!) A different pattern mod card than the other one. Much stiffer paper and when folded over in the holder it stayed put. Interestingly it shows the chassis Serial Number to be '8356', as opposed to the plate on the front of the receiver being '8349'. At the moment, my gut is going with the Mod card. It was firmly in place in its holder and invisible. More likely the data plate was replaced or the entire upper front panel of the receiver.

Only one modification was performed on this receiver on 01/12/52 - F257/#1.

Be interesting to find a record of these modifications.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS-52 Mod Card Holder Mounts B.JPG   WS-52 Mod Card Holder Mounts C.JPG   WS-52 Remote Receiver Mod Card.JPG   WS-52 Mod Card Holder Mounts A.JPG   WS-52 Main Receiver Mod Card.JPG  

Last edited by David Dunlop; 20-01-18 at 02:18.