View Single Post
Old 04-02-18, 18:25

Another week. Another adventure.

As I had mentioned earlier, I want to first focus on getting the Remote Receiver back up and running. There do not appear (so far) to be any electrical issues. Most work will be cosmetic and physical in nature. However, at some point I am going to have to chase electrons into it and see what they get up to. Towards that end, a huge piece of the project arrived last week…a ZE 11 Remote Supply Unit.

I had known about this item for a while, but was also aware it related to the Wireless Set No. 9 Mk. I Cdn. The ‘correct’ Remote Supply for the WS-52 is actually the ZE 12. Then I learned from Jacques Fortin, out Quebec way, that there are only a few minor component variations between the two supplies and in fact Marconi had shipped ZE 11’s with initial production of the WS-52, until production of the ZE 12 was ramped up. So I bought this ZE 11.

Externally, the supply shows the usual dirt and nicotine accumulations for its age, but overall the original wrinkle green paint and white silk screened markings are in excellent condition. The underside of the cover assembly is finished in a very fine textured silver/grey metallic paint. I am curious now if this finish was also applied to the interior of the main set carriers and the remote receiver case.

The OZ4 looks a bit scruffy and has not yet been tested. The Serial Number (3892) has been stamped on a small metal plate which was then riveted to the top of the Choke cover, over top of the white stencil that notes a location for a serial number. I am wondering if initially these supplies just had a painted on serial number and then later Marconi switched to a metal plate format to extend the life expectancy of the identification?

The outside top of the cover has the number ‘3820’ hand written in white on it in two separate locations. Possibly a cover from a doner supply.

The AC cord is original, measuring about 7.5 feet. It had electrical tape wrapped around it a couple of inches above the base. At first I though this might be hiding a splice, but a closer look indicates a rodent of indeterminate size appears to have used the cord as dental floss at some point. I will have to take a closer look at that later.

In any event, it seemed the right idea to get this supply checked out and working as the first part of getting the Remote Receiver back up and running. Same initial goal, just a slightly different start point.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS-52 ZE 11 Remote Supply A.JPG   WS-52 ZE 11 Remote Supply B.JPG   WS-52 ZE 11 Remote Supply C.JPG   WS-52 ZE 11 Remote Supply D.JPG   WS-52 ZE 11 Remote Supply E.JPG