Thread: 9.00-13 Tyres
View Single Post
Old 10-06-04, 07:23
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: MRF Tyres

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Well then, you have at least 4 hours left then to trawl the MLU forum before the Ballards start to bollock their Sigs clerk
You have the measure of that. . . . . . . . . .
Quote:
Agree, in today's world it can be cheaper to ship stuff indirectly and end up with a great deal. Surely one of the many MV dealers here in Europe is interested in shipping a container or two, claiming non-EU-marked tyre exemption under that rule that Richard F. made us aware of?
I have no doubt that there is an exemption on the basis that the vehicle using the tyres is before EU directives then non E marked/approved is legal, but here's a catch 22, the dealers are now legally bound to only sell either E marked tyres or they are indelibly marked "Agricultural/Implement - 20MPH" or some such.

This allows the driver, who is legally responsible for the vehicle on the road, to use non-approved tyres commensurate with the vehicle age; and indeed you can privately "import" such stuff for personal use. I see some people are circumventing the law by selling tubes and flaps at a huge price but you get a free tyre with them. . . . . . . . . . .

The tyre supply in the UK seems to be a closely guarded closed shop and I suspect people like MRF will not supply the pittance required for the few old trucks in the UK, they are likely looking for several containers a month continually as a "dealer" arrangement.

Currently with 1GBP almost $3Oz it would seem easier to have an antipodean chum send some up here; or someone needs to take a trip to India on behalf of the interested parties and arrange a "private" shipment. I have emailed MRF several times and got complete silence however.

Ballard has been looking worried now that the Simex ST24s are extinct since I managed to get him four, but, failing vandalisation (unlikely as the truck is never out of his sight) or destruction off-road on flint (also unlikely), then these will still be less than half worn long after him and me have been rendered to dust.

R.