View Single Post
Old 13-06-18, 05:46

Thanks Ryan.
I am progressing on my transmission components and need to get some new seals and a bearing. As soon as I get my parts together I will do the assembly.

Unfortunately I have come across a problem with the Meadows and instead of a possible long or worse hold up, I have decided to marry my trans with a Chev 216. As much as it is disappointing to me and no doubt a lot of other interested followers I think it is not all lost if the two are running and not to say that the Meadows could be fitted at a later date. The Meadows is 88HP where as the Chev is 85hp and I am also fortunate, that some time ago I bought a partly restored Chev Blitz with a close to restored engine. This has not been a light decision but I think necessary a one at this point in time. The reason I have chosen the Chev is they are both almost identical in length, height and HP and the Exhaust outlet is on the same side as the Meadows (thanks to Dave Lean for pointing it out to me) and also important is the similar age albeit a bit more later but still a military engine.
The problem with the Meadows is the cam followers are seized solid and are in two parts The bottom part can not come out unless the cam is taken out first and the cam won't come out without the followers moving up and down to let the cam come out. It has been sitting for a very long time and almost bonded as one and of course it is alloy and not very thick. The last thing I want to do at this stage is to destroy the block. I have tried numerous things to get them to move but not even one has budged. I think it is a project on its own and I am just looking at the big picture as they are getting so close to running.
The trans is good and all the gears, shafts, linkage etc, etc are excellent so the operation of Bower Bird will still be the same as it was back in 1936 so I am sorry to disappoint all Meadows engine fans.

I am still heading in the same direction but just on a different road.
Attached Thumbnails
20180613_123419.jpg   20180613_123424.jpg   20180613_123553.jpg   20180613_123635.jpg  

Last edited by colin jones; 13-06-18 at 22:24. Reason: Spell check. Sooo many mistakes :-)