View Single Post
Old 04-12-10, 22:53
David Gordon

Anything is possible. Its too bad that so much of the history has been lost, or at least temporarily misplaced. For T-16s with solid disc wheels, I know of three people personally that have them in complete sets on their vehicles. Ray in New York, Dan in New Mexico and Brennon here in Texas. Sure there are a lot more out there.

On the wheels, there were at least four variations that we know of. The straight spoke, curved spoke and solid disc we mentioned. But there are actually two patterns of curved spoke wheels. Some have a casting on the back that is a raised projection which we've been told is used to help sling mud and snow buildup off before it can harden up on the spokes which can cause issues with the tracks and sprocket. Some of the T-16s also have ice scrapers on the rear at the back.

One other good thing about the solid disc wheels is they can be reversed to allow presentation of the side with the best rubber and metal surface area. Guess this is possible with the straight spokes as well. My carrier has curved spokes so flipping one around would look really odd.
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA Folding Military Bicycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'44 Orme-Evans Airborne Trailer No. 1 Mk. II
'44 Airborne 100-Gallon Water Bowser Trailer
'44 Ford T-16 Universal Carrier
'44 Jowett Cars 4.2-Inch Towed Mortar
'44 Daimler Scout Car Mark II
'45 Studebaker M29C Weasel