View Single Post
Old 25-02-09, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony R View Post

My guess is, therefore, that the 1533's started out as open cab trucks. But that is only my guess. There are much more knowledgeable guys out there than me.

Thanks!
Tony the trucks you mention were flat cowl export models which were produced with only the front sheet metal and with out windscreen pillars. The bodies were built locally at whatever destination they arrived at. Fargo, which is the Chrysler Corp. export model truck were exported as flat faced cowl models as well. In New Zealand most of the Fargo, Ford and Chevrolet trucks/ panel vans were local bodies with wooden frames which looked the same as the all steel cab from a distance but was totally different.

The early model Chev you have pictured was a steel cab cut down but the YS model you show is an Indian Army model and they did a lot of canvas roof type vehicles including CMP's.

I have added 3 photos below. The first is a 1939 WB Chev flat faced cowl model with local Egyption built body on it the other two are Indian Army Chev's. Photos are off the net and I can't remember where from.

There is also a thread on this forum called I think "BOMBAY CHEV'S" which has a great deal of information and a few photos of the Canvas roofed flat cowl Indian Army vehicles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1939 WB Chev - Egypian assembled - 03.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	26127 Name:  Chevrolet2large.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  38.4 KB Click image for larger version

Name:	WW2-02a.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	26129

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"