View Single Post
Old 24-04-20, 14:17

Default M38 CDN information

Hi guys,

Firstly thanks for letting me join your forum.

My names Jim and live in Sunny (or not so) Manchester England

I've owned my M38 for about 10 years now and am looking to do some research to its origins.

when i first bought the jeep it came as a right mess. it was in Greek army camouflage and the engine was in the back under a tarp.

I'll dig out some old pics and post them when i get time over the weekend.

Anyways as my first restoration it was a bit daunting but took it on.
i must say i didn't do it alone i had 2 very good friends of mine helping along the way.

Nether the less she was ready after a year of hard work she started up and i drove her to the test centre for inspection.

With no problems there i quickly got my registration plate and started enjoying my M38.

Its worth pointing out that M38 jeeps over in the UK and kind of looked on as the post war mongrel to the much sort after MB and GPW.
But i loved it and thats all that mattered.

So to the best of my knowledge it was just a run of the mill standard M38 from the US, but my Friend Graham (who also owns a very nice M38) noticed that the chassis number didn't look right to his.

This brought up lots of possibility's, was it a CJ? or something else???

so we never really got to the end of why it was different and just forgot about it.

I recently read something about M38's which made me think.

It was about the M38 CDN jeeps which i believe were built by ford of Canada?

I've read the posts on this forum and its looking very promising that my jeep is an M38 CDN and i believe the "Chassis Number" isn't actually a chassis number at all but a CAR number if thats right?

The number is on the passenger side front end of the chassis towards the bumper and is 31772.

I'm having to wrap this message up now as i'm heading off to work but it would be great to hear some feedback about what else i can look for to help me identify this vehicle.

Oh one more thing ...... the tool box under the seat has JEEP in script pressed in the steel.

Don't know if this means anything but hopefully someone will know.

pics will follow when i get down to my workshop over weekend

once again guys thanks for the add to this group and look forward to discussing this topic with you all.

Thanks
Jim