View Single Post
Old 01-05-20, 20:02

A nice looking M38, from what I can see. Can't tell beyond any doubt if it's US or Canadian though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James "Jim" Patterson View Post
Also there's signs of some welding but these don't look structural they look like maybe a bracket was welded on at some time.
I assume you mean the 'half moon' bit of welding on the side rail just behind the front shock mount? Mine has those on both sides (see attached). It's where the front tubular cross member welds to the side rail.

Back to the number stamped into the side rail. You say your M38 had Greek camouflage; could it be that the Greek Army stamped their chassis up with the M38 body number? If so, that number could be your Jeep's original serial number. Possibly. Anyone out there have any experience of Greek Army M38's?

Regarding the dash, do the data plates (between the instrument panel and glove box) fix directly to the dash? Or are they secured to a separate plate which then screws to the dash? This was a mid-production change during the US M38 build, and may help to confirm your M38's origins.

Owen.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020523.jpg  
1936 Opel Olympia
MVPA # 39159
MVT # 19406