View Single Post
Old 27-09-23, 08:28
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Cab 12 C60L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Great photos. The Chevrolet truck, ARN AIF L-16041 and my Chev ARN AIF L-16070 both went to the Middle East on 6th October 1941 on the ship Tricolor, spelt the Australian way Tricolour in the AWM books.
The Tricolor spelling was a problem when I searched the WW2 sailing log of the ship.
The log also showed that the ship sailed a couple of days later than the 6th. Maybe the 6th was when it was loaded.
Both trucks returned to Australia and were sold to General Motors Holden when disposed of .
Even though my truck is fairly complete it is nice to have a good reference photo of the camo and it looks like I also have the correct canopy frame accumulated from somewhere.
If I ever get it restored and display it, I will be able to do a correct lather up for a shave.
It is surprising, the number of those Cab 12 Chev C60L trucks, you have an example of , that have been found in Aust. There was a very nice example I found up at Orange in NSW. I must have seen at least ten of them over the years, most are in a terrible state of repair. There was a book published, written by a chap who was a driver in a Petrol Company in the M.E., in the appendix he lists the types of vehicles (with reg. numbers) that came back to Aust. with his unit, Cab 12 Chevs and a WOI2 Ford.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad