View Single Post
Old 23-07-09, 01:07
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
Jordan, the motor in your carrier is the proper style for it. That's the only kind they put in them.
If you go to overhaul a 221 ci flattie, the 37 and newer used replaceable main bearings where the earlier ones had poured babbit mains. If the motors weren't rebuilt at one time, they have the dual faced rod bearings too which makes the motor more expensive to rebuild. As for cracked blocks, the cracks that form radiating from the head bolt holes don't matter. It's the ones in the valve seat area that turn the motor into a boat anchor.
I don't agree about the motor Jordan has now being the correct one. Look at where his water pumps and water outlets are. Any Carrier serialled blocks I have seen are the later engines with the low double pulley water pumps and the water outlets in the middle of the head.

Jordan:
I have had a bit of luck with Flatheads this summer. I bought one to use as a quick install on my carrier, and picked up a second truck that shows the promise of running. I gotta quit hanging out at auctions. Both are 49s unfortunately, so the water outlets are in the front of the heads and not in the middle. Shame you are not out this way or I could make you a smokin deal on the spare. The 49 Fords can be converted back to the hard access position for the distributers, they already have the right style water pumps, but unfortunately there is no way of fixing the water outlet positions.