View Single Post
Old 20-04-05, 00:48
former Resident Historian

Default Cards

Quote:
Fletch has nothing on the CS8's, we've been there before; we have the cards for the PU's though.
He just happened, thank goodness, to have the prototype 1938 Quad cards, for the C.S.8/AWD. In case anyone wants to know what the Tank Museum hold by way of cards, to quote Mr Fletcher:

Quote:
As far as I am aware we have the largest collection of these cards to survive anywhere, including armour and transport and many going back to well before WWII. Obviously not all, but many hundreds. They include conversions and even seperate contracts for engines in some cases.Those missing are mostly plant - tractors, dozers etc - which I believe are held by the Royal Engineers Museum at Gillingham, Kent.
Certainly deliveries to Austrlia, New Zealand, India etc show up because I have seen them but not to Canada I think. Only Canadian stuff sent over here. We have the cards grouped by manufacturer (or the firm responsible for some conversion or body fit) except in the case of AFVs where they are by type of tank etc.
For B vehicles there is also a massive document known as the Consolidated Key List which, again organised by manufacturer, groups WD numbers to body types and so on. It lists contract numbers too but in some cases (I checked Morris-Commercial) there was some conflict.
We also hold two lists in numerical order, one for A and one for B vehicles and again there is some degree of contradiction
That presumably leaves the old Beverley museum records, and just possibly the files relating to contracts in Kew, under the War Office and Ministry of Supply, its successor. There seems to be a few files that might cover vehicles...I assume that these have been perused already in the past.