View Single Post
Old 20-04-05, 08:13
Richard Notton

Default Re: Cards

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
He just happened, thank goodness, to have the prototype 1938 Quad cards, for the C.S.8/AWD.
Certainly Bovington do have extensive records but its far from exhaustive; of course their remit is armour but with some overlap. In a currently happy situation David F is genuinely interested in all the aspects and has not refused any historical MV data, but its a worry when he eventually retires and perhaps we just have appropriate grade civil servants doing it as "a job".

Quote:
That presumably leaves the old Beverley museum records, and just possibly the files relating to contracts in Kew, under the War Office and Ministry of Supply, its successor. There seems to be a few files that might cover vehicles...I assume that these have been perused already in the past.
I don't know where and in what state the ex-Beverley records are, I would like to get into these just for STAL II 894 - 20ET51.

Both the Ballards have made long visits to Kew and the IWM archives and extracted a mass of data on the MC PU especially, but not for CS8s; perhaps I can cajole them to repeat the exercise. However, as you probably know only too well, this work is extremely time consuming and expensive for a private person without the wherewithall to spend weeks of consecutive days trawling the archives.

Gaydon also can turn up some gems of factory and production data I believe, but its the usual painstaking job.

R.