View Single Post
Old 09-02-05, 19:36
carrier mech

42mk1carrier:
The carrier you have origionally came from Gordon Falk. The side armour (my timelines are correct) were from some carriers which had been buried as a breakwater at a University study site near Portage la Prairie. We took the armour off the first two, and recovered 3 complete hulls out of the same site over the next couple of years. Hard to say why your drums would have been so different. Gord was recovering a lot of various hulls from everywhere back at the time (and still is; he's a bloodhound when it comes to these thoings). As I recall that carrier was trading material with Jim, who later got my cariier (CT163013) in another deal with me. I beleive that one is in your neck of the woods now as well.
The front armor came from some carriers we raided North of Thunder Bay Ontario. There were 5 hiding in the bush up there, although none had complete armour. Just as well; it would have been a bugger to float the hulls out of there, across about 4 miles of lake, up another mile of river/gentle rapids, and onto the beach another mile up.

Andrew: I found that by using a angle grinder (and a respirator, and doing it outside) I could mate up the shoes with the freshly turned drums fairly close. It didn't take too long after that to get the shoes to set in. If the shoes are grossly out of radius, I agree; you will be putting a lot of poor performance miles on before you get them to work right, along with a bit of glazing on the portions of the shoes that were trying to do all the work in the first place.